Friday, September 7, 2007

Trip to the Big Mall

Yay for having Fridays off!

I had heard much about the big mall in Montevideo and how nice it was. So I decided I wanted to go. Sandra, Rhonda's assistant, went with several of us so we would know which bus to take and where to get off. I had heard several times that the mall here was just like those in the U.S., but since I'd never seen a mall like the ones in the US outside of it, I didn't really believe it. (Do you notice that I have had a heard time believing what people tell me about stuff here?)

Anyway the mall was like an upscale mall in the U.S. Much nicer than the ones I usually shop at. One difference was that it has a nice grocery store. We decided to buy stuff to make dinner together. While discussing what to make I mentioned that I had seasonings for taco meat. So we bought the makings for taco salad. (We could even buy Old El Paso refried beans and jalopenos.)

On the way back we had an interesting experience on the bus when a couple of transvestites got on the bus to entertain the riders. Now these weren't transvestites that we had trouble telling that they were men. These were clearly men. One of them could actually sing pretty well. It was funny. They really carried on harassing some folks. But they left us alone more or less. They did of course ask for money after they entertained the crowd. (Not that we had a choice about listening.) The only one of our group that they asked for money was Jonathan F. He just told them he didn't speak Spanish and that seemed to work.

It was a fun... pretty mild adventure... I'll let you know how the taco salad turns out. :)

No comments: