Wednesday, September 12, 2007

English Lessons


English lessons for members of the El Chana church. We mainly do the lessons in Friends Speak (Let's Start Talking) style. The first week Rhonda paired us with students the first week. We are supposed to work with the same people every week, although I have worked with two different ladies, Mary and Silvia.

The students are on all sorts of levels of English abilities. (Kind of like our group is with Spanish.) Mary, the first week, barely spoke English, but it was really fun teaching her some of the basic phrases. And she greeted me on Sunday in English which was fun. This week Silvia was much more advanced. She started out telling me that she couldn't speak English... well it turns out she could speak quite a bit. In fact, we are probably pretty similar in our ability to speak each other's language. We spent of the time telling each other about our families.

I think the English lessons have been a great opportunity for our group to bond with the El Chana church. It is nice to have one-on-one time with members of the church. I think it is also great that we can provide some service to a church who welcomes ACU groups with such open arms every semester.

I also want to brag on my students while we are talking about service. I have been so proud of them pitching in to help. The first Sunday the church gave a lunch for us. The group stayed to help clean up afterwards. Rhonda said she had never had a group do that before. They also help set up and clean up after the English lessons. I'm really proud of them!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I'm not surprised -- because there are three Minter Laners there! And we're all trained to pitch in, it seems to me.

Tonight at church we had University Friends Night, and we had a great turnout. More pitching in, of course. Lots of students talked about their experience at Minter. It is always fun to hear them talk. (And I got to hold little Dominick Wood while he slept, so my night was great!)

Tomorrow Ken and I leave for Paris on our way to Croatia. I know you can't relate to this, but there seem to be a million things to do before then (and I'm not even going for a whole semester!).

Check out our blog the next couple of weeks: k4cukrowski.blogspot.com

I plan to update our travels every day or two.
Love you, Autumn,
Karen

Hilary said...

I'm so glad you went with this group of students. What a blessing it is to have young people with you who understand the power of a servant heart. I hope all is well with you this week!! Miss you, friend!!!