Monday, September 3, 2007

First Day of Class

Well it is 10:45, Montevideo time, and I've survived the first day. On Monday's and Wednesday's I teach intro chem from 10-11 and Biochem from 4:30-6:30. I got up around 8 and got ready for my 10 o'clock. I think I'm going to like just having 4 people in class. They respond much better than a class of 40 or 60. The only problem I've found so far, is that it is much easier to get off topic when you are with a bunch of people you live with. I've already brought up the fact that it may be a problem at some point that we live together, hang out together, but sometimes I'll have to be the professor and tell them what to do, and they may not like it. Hopefully by bringing it up early, I'll head off any major problems.

I feel sorry for my biochem students with the 4:30-6:30 time slot. They have all just come from an international studies class, so they are tired by the time I get to them. Even with a pretty long break in the middle of class, 2 hours of biochem will wear ones brain out. But wow I can cover a lot of stuff in two hours with only 4 students. :)

I had my first Spanish lesson today. I'm going to meet with Amelia twice a week. She is really patient and a good teacher. I'm super excited about the time I'm going to get to spend with her.

After classes, Luke, Anne, Jonathon Fincher, and I wandered down the main street (18 de Julio, 18th of July) until we decided on a place to eat. It was the first time I had gone some place to eat without someone from here. It went quite well. Anne and Luke do both speak more Espanol that Jonathan and I. We had a good meal then wandered back home.

Now I'm doing everything I can to avoid preparing for class tomorrow. So I should probably quit writing. :) Tomorrow I have basically the same schedule as today, but I teach P-chem from 4:30-6:30... that is the reason I should be working on something else right now.

No comments: