Monday, September 3, 2007

Our First Sunday

We had a very warm welcome from the El Chana Church of Christ. (El Chana was the name of the coffee company whose old building CasaACU and the church is in.) It is a very convenient location for us next door. In fact if I had the correct keys, I could go down the hall from the back door of my apartment into the back of the auditorium.

The services of course were all in Spanish. I'm starting to be able to differentiate words... its too bad I still don't understand most of them. There was one complete sentence I understood. I was grateful for Robert Brown's Spanish class last year were we sung and prayed in Spanish every lecture. I knew when we were going to do each and can sing in Spanish, even if I don't understand it. :)

Bible class was bilingual. One of the members of the congregation taught it with Eric Rama, Amelia, and Rhonda translating. It was fun. We had to read scripture in both languages.

After class we had lunch with the church. We split up among the members of the congregation. We had great fun at our table. We didn't always understand each other, but managed to communicate. Luckily, Amelia was at our table most of the time to translate when we had problems.

They had the students and I introduce ourselves. They wanted to know where everyone was from, their major, their age, and if they had a boyfriend or girlfriend. I left out the age and dating status. So someone just called out and asked... so I told them no. :)

I spent most of the rest of the day getting ready for classes. Apparently I'm supposed to teach or something. Matt and Jonathan came in and hung out with me for awhile and Stephen and I went for coffee to touch base before he heads back to the States.

Oh and I also finally unpacked and rearranged my bedroom. All in all it was a good day for meeting new Brothers and Sisters and getting settled in.

No comments: