Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Greensleeves with a Techno Beat and other News

Good afternoon! I just thought I'd give you the update of life in CasaACU...

First of all thank you for your prayers, it looks like the student who injured his knee won't have to have surgery. YAY!!! He'll probably be on crutches for another 4 weeks, but it looks like he will be off of them in time for fall break. We are really excited and thankful about that news.

We are currently in the middle of the first round of tests. In fact, I'm giving a test right now. :) The students are stressed out, but it is less work for me, especially with at most 4 students in my class. Grading goes really quickly. And really life at CasaACU is all about me, right?

We are still doing English lessons on Tuesday nights. I really enjoy them. The student I'm working with, Sylvia, knows a lot of English. It is mainly a matter of pronunciation and confidence in speaking for her. (I can really identify with that.) One of the men at church and I kind of came to an agreement last night. I'll speak to him in Spanish and he'll speak to me in English. It is good practice for both of us, and keeps us out of vocabulary that the other one doesn't understand. Of course, we aren't going to have any deep conversations with the Spanish I know either... eh... I don't like to have deep conversations anyway. :)

OK... now I know you've been wondering about Greensleeves with a techno beat. (I saved it until last so you'd keep reading.) I really should write this blog some night when I come home from aerobics. I can't begin to explain how hyper we (Anne, Kelsey, and I) are when we get home, I'll admit I'm the worst. But the combination of endorphins and amusement really gets us worked up. Of course, I don't think I could sit long enough to write.

Yesterday afternoon was a good example of why we are so amused and worked up over aerobics class. First of all, we usually go to "Body Combat" which is Taebo type aerobics. So really we are pretending to do martial arts moves to usually 80's and 90's music. Or last night Greensleeves with a techno beat. I mean SERIOUSLY... we were punching the air to a techno beat... how can that not be funny. On top of that our aerobics instructor (a male about my age) starts singing along to Greensleeves (Not the words just Nah Nah-n-Nah you get the idea.) It was almost more than we can handle. We looked at each other at one point and I think we missed out on about 8 beats, because we got so cracked up.

Our aerobics instructor has quit giving us the "I don't think they know what I'm saying" look that accompanies "Ojo." I think he considers us experienced after a week and a half. He definitely knows who we are. Partly because we smile all through class. After the "Greensleeves" incident, he started singing along to other songs like Pinks "I'm Not Here for Your Entertainment." (This time he was singing the words.) The more Kelsey and I smiled when he sang, the more he sang... so I'm pretty sure he is there for our entertainment. Oh another funny thing he does is yell, "Work it!" At one point last night he got right in front of me so that we doing this one punching thing at each other and said, "Work it." I thought I was going to fall over. I just smiled though.

Anyway, we've decided aerobics is pretty much our favorite part of the day. (Yup, even over biochem.) For those of you coming to Montevideo, you definitely have to go to Body Combat at Gimnasio Urbana. My 3 paragraphs can not adequately explain how fun it is. But I'm sure stories about it will keep popping up... I have two much fun with it.

No comments: