Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Greet One Another with a Holy Kiss


This command has become to mean a lot more to me since I've been in Uruguay. It is something we practice every day when we see Uruguayans. Growing up I always thought it was kind of weird... "Um... you want me to kiss someone every time I see them?" My dad translated it for Americans in a sermon a time or two as "Greet one another with a holy hug."

When I participated in study abroad in Italy as an undergrad, I understood it a bit better. In Italy, our professors made us give the people on either side of us "Italian greetings" which is a kiss on each cheek at house meetings or when we had church at the villa. (We were always excited when we were sitting next to the cute missionaries, but that is a whole other story.) But it wasn't something we really participated in with the Italians... well at least not that I really remember. Partly, because as I remember it this was a way you greeted people you knew reasonably well.

In Uruguay, this is the standard greeting and parting. You don't shake hands when you see someone... or even meet them for the first time, you kiss them on the cheek. Well really it is you put your right cheeks together, or at least close and make a kiss noise. People that know you well may literally kiss you on the cheek. Uruguay is a one cheek country, whereas Italy was a two cheek country. Most people go right cheeks together, although, every so often someone will throw you off and go for the other cheek. This has led to some close calls. :) If you don't kiss someone, you can be considered cold.

Now if you noticed I said even when you meet someone for the first time, you kiss. It has taken time to get used to. "Hi, nice to meet you... let's touch our faces together." And I don't particularly have any personal space. I'm sure this is difficult for people who do have a lot of personal space. I like the way one my students put it in facebook when she was talking about things that she learned in Uruguay, "In Uruguay, you must embrace and kiss everyone on the cheek when you enter the room - even if there are 50 strangers in the room." This does sometimes mean that it takes awhile to get in the door at church. :)

Now don't take me wrong, I think this is fabulous. I think its fun to run into someone from church on the street and to stop and take the time to give them a hug and a kiss. It does however lead to some funny conversations. For example, about the young Tango teacher teacher that came to Rhonda's class:
One of the students: "Dr. Sutherlin, what's the name of the young teacher?"
Me: "I don't know. I just let him in and kissed him. Um... wait a second..."
It is a weird thing to be in the habit of kissing (even on the cheek) men who I have no idea what their names are. :)

So watch out when I come home... If I look like I'm swooping in to kiss you on the cheek... its just a new habit and its just a holy kiss!

No comments: