Wednesday, November 14, 2007

This Week in Uruguay

Well it is time again to catch you up on the happenings of CasaACU. When I last reported our activities we had been cooking together in the kitchen on Saturday night.

Sunday, several of us got up and went to church. I didn't understand the whole sermon, but I did manage to catch the 3 or 4 key sentences that told me what Nestor was talking about! Class was all in Spanish again. We had the Spanish speakers of our group translate once or twice, but really we did ok. (Now, ok means that with the aid of the Scriptures, I could pretty much tell what we were talking about. I was not able to make any deep insightful points... I mean I have trouble doing that in English... Of course I didn't make any shallow points either.)

After church, Kelsey and I quickly changed and headed to the ferria (market) in Parque Rodo. It was crowded, but fun. There were tons of little stalls. Our favorite thing was reading t-shirts for sale with bad English. My favorite was "Mousy Pop Princess." There was another really good one, but I can't think of it at the moment. I'd ask Kelsey since she is only sitting 5 feet or so away... but as she is taking a biochemistry exam, I probably shouldn't interrupt her.

That was the major excitement for Sunday. The rest of the day was spent catching up on work, studying, and going to church again.

OH... We did get a call from our student with pneumonia. He is out of the hospital and back home, tube free! We are really grateful and happy!

Monday, Tuesday, and today have been back to our normal non-guest schedule. Which means I did foolish things like stay up way to late Monday night righting P-chem notes. I already told you about my 3 hour Spanish conversation on Monday, of which I'm still totally proud. Tuesday night was our last official English class. Next week we are going to have a party to celebrate the end of the classes.

Today, we went to the American Embassy. I still want to take a picture running toward the embassy with passport in hand yelling, "I'm an American Citizen," but I was afraid if I did it today, they might not let me in. After going through tons of security, they took us to a room in the basement. We started joking about them taking our passports and leading us to a locked room in the dungeon. (A marine had traded us our passports for visitors badges. We weren't too worried, since these were the people who'd have to make us new ones if they didn't give them back.) Anyway, it turns out they just took us to a meeting room. We met with people from several offices who told us about what they did. We even got to meet the ambassador who was super friendly.

Now we are back at CasaACU. As I mentioned, I'm currently giving a biochem test. It looks like Jonathan is on the enzyme kinetics page, Kelsey is doing the mechanism page, Anne is doing the allosteric regulation page, and I can't see what Luke is doing from here. (This is just me trying to prove that we do some school work here!)

1 comment:

X-Phile said...

Wait! We do school in Montevideo? Dang it....
I totally would have approved of you doing the whole "run to the American Embassy" thing. You know, you could go back and do it now. :D
Just in case you were wondering, it's really hard to type with Tubby lying on your arm.
Anyhow, I can't wait to hear all about everything when you get back. See you soon!