Monday, November 12, 2007

Check Me Out!

I just spent 4 of the last 5 hours conversing in Spanish... not necessarily good Spanish... but in Spanish none the less. First, I had Spanish class with Amelia for an hour, and we speak almost totally in Spanish, sometimes we switch to English so I can ask a question or she can explain grammar. Then I had chapel so I spoke in English there.

Then I met Sylvia, who I go to church with and is my "student" for English tutoring on Tuesday nights. We went to lunch together and conversed in Spanish for THREE HOURS!!! She really nice and patient. Every so often I'd have to ask about a word. Sometimes she knew the English word and sometimes she didn't... but I had my handy dictionary with me. (It is usually close at hand.) We stuck more or less to topics I know... BUT STILL... THREE HOURS... YAY ME!

The cool thing is that I often feel like my Spanish hasn't progressed at all even though I know it has. Of course this is a good Spanish day. There are days that the littlest thing trips me up and makes me want to cry. (I have come close to tears in my Spanish tutoring before.) But I know logically that I have improved. Today I feel like I've really made progress. I know I was messing up verb endings left and right and Sylvia was making a point of speaking slow and correcting me sometimes (other times she just let it go)... but that's ok... I could actually survive a lunch with a Spanish speaking friend. AND I've had so much Spanish in my head that I keep thinking of Spanish words to say here instead of English... maybe I'll get this speaking Spanish thing yet! Again: YAY ME!

Other good news... Jonathan the student with pneumonia had the tubes removed and is doing much, much better. Thank you for your prayers!

No comments: