Monday, November 26, 2007

The Mommy Bag

OK... so I had a long post written full of pictures filling you in on the first few days in Brazil... and it disappeared... so I'll catch it up later. Instead I thought I'd tell you about the Mommy Bag, or Mary Poppins bag. I love being around college students, if you hadn't caught on to that yet. And one of the funny things about them is that most are somewhere between 70 and 90% adult. (Just so you know I certainly don't consider myself 100% adult...) Anyway, one of the ways I explain to them that I don't find them 100% adult is the Mommy Bag (pictured above.) When going on a group activity, I now pack it partly for me and partly for my students. I actually think through it and figure out what I will bring, including stuff the kids will need.

Today among other things I packed: sunscreen, bug spray, tissues, ibuprofen, Excedrin, paper towels, water, and snacks for the kids who get sick when their blood sugar gets to low. (Yes I pack food for them.)

The kids started calling it the Mary Poppins bag over spring break when I could pull almost anything out of it (dictionary, notebooks, band aids, pens, food, etc.). I started calling it the mommy bag when I started planning what to pack for the kids.

3 comments:

X-Phile said...

LOL! My mommy bag isn't quite as well stocked (or large), but I did find a pacifier in my purse recently.... :D

Karen said...

True story: One time, x-phile girl went to pick Ken and me up from the airport. Alas, she couldn't go far in, because yes, she had a meat cleaver in her mommy bag! :)

X-Phile said...

Funny story: I went as far as the girls and no one at the airport noticed the meat cleaver. And I had a perfectly good reason for having it:
The girls just don't listen....
And by that I meant that we were fixing Ken and Karen dinner right before we went to pick them up and since I didn't want to forget my mom's meat cleaver at their house, I put it back in my purse, which I took with me when we went to pick them up. So yeah.