Thursday, November 8, 2007

So Busy...

FIRST - before I get into my ramblings... our student with pneumonia went home on Sunday. He ended up having to have surgery again yesterday. Apparently the infected fluid turned into some kind of jello stuff that was coating his lung. (EWW!) So they actually had to open him up and clean it off. They have his lung all cleaned off now, but he now has two tubes draining the fluid off around his lungs... This has been so crazy... Please keep him and his family in your prayers!

There are times I'm not writing much because I've run out of new things to say. Then there are weeks like this one that have been so busy I haven't had time to write about them. We have been really blest to have three visitors this week.

Bio, who I've mentioned before, is still here. The kids are still loving his class and we all really enjoy hanging out with him. He has been such a blessing to our group. We are all really sad that he is leaving this weekend. He is so fun and such a spiritual leader that we all feel like we have grown from knowing him.

Dr. Brown, Luke's mother, arrived last Saturday with two of her nieces. Luke's birthday was yesterday. She had not missed one of his birthday's yet and she wasn't going to let a little thing like being on a different continent cause her to miss this one. She has really been fun... and she enjoys telling stories on Luke... which we enjoy, even if he doesn't.

Ronnie Rama, who I believe I've also mentioned before, teaches in the art department and is Uruguayan. He came down to show Dr. Brown the city and to visit Eric, his son. Ronnie is so much fun and has such a great knowledge and love of the city that it is very interesting to go places with him.

So with three visitors here, I've been kicked out of "I live here mode" (you know where you never go see the touristy things in the place you live), which is good because I would have kicked myself when I got home and hadn't seen these places.

The visitors also have meant that we have eaten really, really well. (I know its hard to believe that we could top the way we've been eating all semester.) I've been to three different grill/ steak places this week. And even better I didn't have to pay for them. Yesterday we had three big meals after noon.

So anyway that's why I haven't said as much in the last couple days. Later I'll upload some pictures and tell you more about what I actually did.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I'm so happy that you've REALLY experienced this Study Abroad time! It just drives me crazy when people go abroad and do nothing or the exact same things they would have done back home.

Now, having said that, we will do some of the same things we would have done back home in the Fall that you weren't tempted with--namely weekly LOST sessions. We'll have to download them to a computer and then watch them together weekly, I think. We'll see how that plays out. But what I need you to do is to pretty please check what kind of cables are needed to hook up my macbook computer to whatever TV I'll need to use down there for 15-ish (I'm guessing?) folks to watch. Also, I'm assuming the answer is yes, but you do have wireless internet in the place, right?

Thanks for checking on the cable thing, Autumn!