Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Things I never thought I'd say...

Well I don't feel like writing a long blog today... but I thought I'd share one of the funny things living in community with students in another culture in another language. Now I know you can't imagine things would ever get a little weird. But every so often I end up saying things I never thought I would say. Here are some of my favorites:

"When we finish talking about the photoelectric effect, we'll take a break and have breakfast."
(Said during P-chem... although the subject changes from day to day. And really I had tried to avoid teaching photoelectric effect.)

"Call the students so they can take a picture when we arrive in a police car."
(After I had my purse snatched.)

"You know... Andres, our male Columbian roommate."
(About the guy that was in our room in Valpairso.)

The greeting with a kiss on the cheek has led to several including:
"I don't know his name... I just opened the door and kissed him."
(Referring to the young tango teacher.)

"I think I got stubble burn on my cheek at church tonight."
(I hate it when the men at church don't shave.)

If the referrals to women's clothing makes you uncomfortable... Stop reading!

Here's the one I REALLY never thought I'd ask someone:
"How do you say, 'I can't find my bra, do you have it?' in Spanish?"
Now before you are too shocked... it was to ask the place that does our laundry... and they did have it. :)

No comments: