Sunday, September 8, 2013

Horny Goat Weed?

Well, we have now been here over a week. We've begun to settle into our classes and routines. I have classes every day. I teach 3 days a week: Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and attend Spanish class every day except for Tuesday. I already can feel my Spanish getting better. The first few days were tough, but I'm starting to get into the flow of having conversation. A few of the girls go to aerobics with me most weeks night. The funniest by a lot so far has been Friday nights dance aerobics class. Let's say I was not born to dance... but it was fun.

Here are some highlights from the end of the week:

One of the fun things is going to markets and seeing funny/ nonsensical t-shirts. Here is one of the "best" examples I've ever seen. Don't ask me what it means... I have no idea. My guess is they send shirts on which the English doesn't make sense to non-English speaking countries.

I have no idea... don't ask me!
We have been blessed to have BEAUTIFUL weather since we've been here. Early last week was sunny but a little cold. Yesterday was our first day of rain, which for this time of year was pretty amazing. Usually it rains more. Still most of the girls and I went Puro Verso, a bookstore with a coffee shop, in Ciudad Vieja. I had a submarino... warm mild with a chocolate bar melted in. It was really fun.

In the afternoon, I got a television in my room and managed to watch a couple movies in Spanish. In the evening the students went and picked up pizza (which was an adventure for them). We ate pizza and watched "Pitch Perfect." It was a nice rainy Saturday night.

The Students eating lunch with Silvia, Adoracion, y Pablo
Today is another beautiful day. Bright and sunny with highs in the upper 60's. This morning we went to the other Church of Christ where Raquel, our cook extraordinaire attends. I have several friends there that it was really good to see. After the worship service, we shared lunch together. It was fun. Several commented on how my Spanish has improved since I was here last. Raquel said it has improved in the last week. The Walkers took us to church, but had to leave because they are going to Buenos Aires to represent ACU at a university fair. We managed to make it home all on our own.

Sarah and I went to the market and bought Uruguayan soccer jerseys to get ready for the game on Tuesday. I wasn't going to buy one if I couldn't find  Lugano, Cavani, or Abreu... but they had Lugano so... I have a new jersey. (Most jerseys are Forlan and Suarez. I have a Forlan, but stupidly left it at home.)

No comments: