Thursday, September 19, 2013

Candombe Practice

One of the fun things about being a city in a foreign country is the random things that can happen that are good entertainment.  I was sitting in my apartment quietly reading my P-chem textbook getting ready for next Tuesday's lecture (I'm not usually this on top of things but we will be gone the next few days to Buenos Aires, its a rough life.)

Anyway... I was sitting here in my quiet apartment and start to hear drumming.  I don't think much about it at first... then I remember OH WAIT! Carnaval is coming up in a few months (after we leave) BUT they start practicing now. So one of the students and I ran out and sure enough... there were about 20-30 Candombe drummers and a few dancers doing a practice parade down the street. It was really quite cool. (Don't worry Stephen and Rachel, I was pretty sure it was Candombe drumming, if it was protest looking we'd have turned around.)

Now did I think to bring my camera, of course not, but here is a picture of a smaller group practicing in the daytime.


As I said we are off tomorrow for Buenos Aires. Hopefully I'll have some fun stories to report in a few days. If I have good internet access I may even report from BsAs.

1 comment:

Joyce Escobedo said...

That's pretty cool, we did not get to see that when we where there. I would be very destracted if it was me. Ever since watching Rio I thought it would be cool to see or even hear the music live. It's a very good excuse to not work on p- chem notes. to bad your not there for the real thing.
Joyce Escobedo