Friday, September 13, 2013

Expo Prado and Things Here and There

Yesterday, we went to the Expo Prado. It's kind of like the State Fair for all of Uruguay. Its doesn't have many rides, but there are fried foods and lots of animals. We had a lot of fun seeing the animals and the gauchos, the cowboys, that were there with their animals.

It started to rain on us while we were there. Fortunately it stopped off and on. It wasn't raining on us when it was time to go. But it had turned dark. The two girls I was with and I decided to take a taxi rather than try to find the correct bus stop in the rain and dark... but its often hard to catch a cab when its raining. We saw several that were available, but they were always too far away. We did eventually get one. I sat in the front and practice my Spanish by talking to the driver. Taxi drivers are nice for practice. They are often chatty, used to talking to foreigners AND I'll probably never see them again, so if I embarrass myself, its not that big of a deal. :)

This weekend the weather is supposed to be cool again. It has been unusually hot. I think Tuesday may have been hotter than anytime I was here last time, including December which is the beginning of summer.

Here are some pictures from Expo Prado.

Baby Goats!

About to milk the cows... these poor girls needed it.

Chainsaw carving

Finished Carving
Gaucho, with the boots and beret

Hanging out with their cattle

Bethany bonding with a sheep.

Hanging out by the horse barn
 OK... I took a ridiculous number of pictures of strangers... but we love gaucho clothes.

Its funny... it doesn't matter that I've been a professor for 10 years. I still find myself acting like a student when I'm in class. For example, our Spanish teacher Cristina is AWESOME. Poor Cristina is sick today and had to cancel class. Now I SHOULD be really disappointed not to be learning... But I'm afraid I was mostly excited that I didn't need to finish my homework... I really need to grow up.

OH and just so you all know... I'm watching Gostbusters II in Spanish. Because well there isn't much on in the middle of the afternoon on a Friday.

1 comment:

Marti said...

Hi, Autumn. We've enjoyed spending the day with your parents and finding out that you were still blogging. We will enjoy hearing about your Uruguay adventures again. Love, Aunt Marti and Uncle Pat