Saturday, September 5, 2009

Times are changin'

I'm not sure if its living in Uruguay or living with college students, but my daily schedule is certainly different than it is when I'm in Abilene. I stay up much much later and sleep much later. Actually, I joke that I'm still on Abilene time. At home I go to bed at 10 and get up at 6, here we are 2 hours ahead I generally go to bed at midnight and get up at 8.

Wednesday was a long but good day. In the afternoon we went on a 3 hour tour, (Hahahaha... now the Gilligan's Island song is stuck in your head) of the city. We started out at the oldest city cemetery where lots of important people are buried. Like most major cemeteries in this part of the world, it was full of impressive monuments and crypts. From there we went to one of the big tourist hot spots, Mercado del Puerto (the Port Market), then onto El Cerro, the hill I referred to in a previous post. After that the tour gets a bit fuzzy for me, as I kind of dozed off in the bus. It was cool and rainy outside, we were warm in the bus. :) I did learn several things about the history of MVD that I didn't learn last time.

Thursday finished off the school week for me. I taught P-chem first thing in the morning and then went to Spanish Conversation after. When lunch time came around, I was beginning the weekend. :) All of the students except for Alli have class on Thursday afternoon, so she and I went to the gym, where we were tortured by another of my friends, Ezti. Thursday night, we are offering to do English Conversation with people who want to practice their English. We had a good turn out for our students, but not so much from other people, but that's ok. Maybe next week.

The first week of classes pretty well wore everyone out. Friday became a day of rest, which was nice since it was cool and rainy. The Introductory Spanish students had class in the morning. The rest of us spent the day running errands and curling up where it was warm and reading, watching movies, and/or playing games. Oh and taking naps... I don't nap... I took two on Friday. It was a nice day. In the evening to do something to use some energy, several of us went to the gym at 8. Lauren and I went to dinner at Molto Bene at um... 11:15 for dinner. The same people work there as last time I was here. It turns out that at least one of the servers remembers me. When we got back, most of the students and I played a big round of Taboo. When we realized it was 1:15, we thought we might should go to bed. This morning I slept til after 11. I'm not sure when that happened last... probably when I was here.

No comments: