Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Back in the Saddle

Classes started on Monday and we are getting more into a routine. I'm teaching Biochem on Monday and Wednesdays and P-Chem on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I have 9 in biochem and 6 in P-chem. I actually have a total of 10 science students this semester. I have been accused in the past of not doing any work at Study Abroad, but I just figure you guys aren't as interested in hearing about what I'm teaching in classes. :)

I'm definitely going to have to get used to teaching for an hour and a half again. On Monday, I was lecturing along in biochem looked at my watch and realized it was nearly 2:30. I thought, "Man I didn't get nearly as far as I thought I would." Since we were doing only review, I told the students to review a set of structures they were supposed to know from organic chemistry for the quiz on Wednesday and let them go. I gathered all my stuff up, went down stairs, and thought "Wait a second... I don't get the internet to myself until 3 o'clock. We're supposed to be in class til then." All the students have their Latin American Studies class at 3. So I called everyone back to the room for 30 more minutes of class. That is certainly one handy dandy thing about living in the house together. I'm not sure the students thought it was so handy. But they came back without grumbling. :)

Now those of you who read my blog last time are probably thinking that I have gone four whole days without mentioning the gym. Well not to worry... I made it there yesterday. I stopped by in the morning and got to visit with Fabricio. I managed to do the whole conversation in Spanish. I was pretty proud! When I walked into the back of the gym where he was sitting... he did a double take and jumped up and gave me a big hug. He also happened to wearing the ACU shirt I sent to him after I returned last time. Which was pretty awesome since he didn't know I was coming. In the evening I knew Dario was teaching. I couldn't go to his class, but I stopped by afterwards to say hello. I got another big hug and got to visit for awhile. He said he kept looking for me in his classes and was dissappointed when I didn't come. It is so fun to see them again.

The reason I couldn't go to Dario's classes was because I was hanging out with Rachel and Rosalinda. Since it was Rachel's last night, I thought that was important. :) We walked down to the Old City and did some shopping. We also managed to stop at McDonald's for ice cream with dulce de leche topping. Mmmmmmmm

Today (Tuesday), in addition to the class I taught, I also attend Advanced Spanish Conversation. Amelia, the teacher, is the same person who tutored me last time. She was sure I was ready. I wasn't so sure. There are only 3 students in the class in addition to me, and they seem happy to have me there. I was afraid I'd be way behind the other three, but I was right in the middle. It was pretty fun. And conversation is certainly the area where I want to do the most work.

This afternoon, Rosalinda and I took Rachel to the airport to see her off. While standing in line we met a really intersting retired professor for University of Arizona who lives in Punta del Este, THE resort town in South America. She is among other things a cardiologist who did some work UTSouthwestern.

This evening I took 6 of the girls to my gym. Valeria, one of the instructors I made friends with last time, was teaching. She is so fun and energetic. The girls loved it. They give me and my friends a special deal at the gym...so we get to go for a little less that $10/ month. I'm just so excited everyone else had fun. Its always a little scary when you tell people how great something is... But the legend of Gimansio Urbano lives on! :)

2 comments:

kry05a said...

Isn't Valeria the "gummy bear"? and is Estie still there? Autumn, my life is good here and all...but it would be better with Gimnasio Urbano. analytical lab cannot compete. boo. :p

Autumn said...

Yeah Valeria is gummy bear. I've now been to two of Ezti's classes, one of Valeria's, and one of some other guys... I haven't gotten to go to one of Dario's or Fabri's. Next week!