Saturday, October 6, 2007

Swimming in the Rain... Trip to the Estancia Part II

When I left off (in the last post just published last night), we had just returned from horseback riding. We had a little bit of time until lunch and so we split up to do different activities. A couple of the students went swimming while most just hung out. Jonathan S., Jennifer, and I went to the barn to play ping-pong. One of the things we noted on the way to the barn was how dark it was getting, it looked more like late evening than noon. Just as we got to the barn it started to downpour. The electricity even went out. I watched Jennifer and Jonathan play for a bit. Then I played Jonathan, the winner of their match. I had a totally dominating game. It was awesome. (Sadly, it was my best game of the day. I apparently used up all my good shots in that one game.)

After ping-pong we went back to the house for lunch. They served barbecue and all sorts of salads. It was really good. Then we had our choice of cakes. I went with the chocolate cake with chocolate mousse and dulce de leche. Mmmmm... During lunch the electricity came back on which was super exciting!

After lunch we decided to go swimming. Their pool is heated so even though it was in the 60's, it was like getting in a warm bath. (Dad, you would hate it.) Half the pool was indoors. The indoor part totally steamed up though... especially just above the pool.
We decided to go out side to swim and went under the divider. It was kind of fun because it was sprinkling. As long as we kept our bodies in the water, we stayed plenty warm. I think before it was all over there were 10 or so us in the pool.


Ok... so here's the part when I tell you how we aren't just really bright. :) When we got in the pool we could hear thunder rumbling in the distance. Several of the students had asked me if it was very likely that the pool would hit by lightening. I said no especially since it was a ways off. Well... the storm moved closer. Most of the people got out of the pool. But there were a few of us who were like, Eh... it won't hit the pool. Well I look around and laughed because its the four science majors, the science professor, and one other student that were dumb enough to be in the pool during a thunderstorm.

Some of the guys who worked at the ranch were doing some stuff near the pool. One of them looked at us and just shook his head. We were going on about how they were saying, "Stupid Nortes Amerincanos." (We can't just call ourselves American... they are Americans too.) And then I say something along the lines, "And to be even better, We're scientists." As I say this I throw up my arms... At that instant there is a much closer lightening strike, followed by a huge clap of thunder, AND the power going out. We took that as a sign from God that we should get out of the pool. (Don't worry, Mom, it wasn't super close... just close enough to know that we probably shouldn't be swimming in the pool... and the timing was great.)

We spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out. Many of the students did what college students do best: Nap! A few of us went back to the barn for ping pong. As I said, my good games were earlier... I even got skunked once. (YIKES!)

We headed back to Montevideo around 4. I think pretty much everyone slept on the way home, except maybe Pedro. When we got home, we found that Raquel had left homemade pizza and cake for us. We love Raquel!

When we got back, I wasn't too tired (I had a nap after all), so I decided to go to Body Combat. (Dad was teasing me the other day, telling me that when I get home and people ask me what I did for fun, I'll have to say aerobics... which really is true... isn't that strange?) Anyway, one of the regulars broke her hair clip in the middle of class. She spent an entire song trying to fix it. So Fabricio started making fun of her for doing her hair in class. At the break between songs, she asked if she could use one of my pony tail holders since I had my hair in pig tails. So I hand it to her as the next song is starting. Fabricio looks over and now two girls in his class (of only about 15) are fixing their hair. (I had to get mine in a pony tail at this point.) He just shook his head and rolled his eyes. Kind of a this is what I get for working with women look. :) But hey, I may have gotten an eye roll... but I also have a new friend in class.

No comments: