Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My Note Cards Can Totally Eat Your Note Cards

One of the hazards of traveling with a bunch of science majors is that you may find yourself stuck in really nerdy conversations. The 8 students who are traveling with the 5 scientists find themselves in this position often. I think it happens to Chelsea, Kelsey's roommate, the most. Actually I told her she should guest blog about it.

Every so often she complains about the Tuesday night study sessions that occur in her room. (My biochem students have a quiz or exam every Wednesday. Cruel prof!) Last night I was in the girls' room talking to Kelsey, Chelsea, and Jonathan S about non-science things. Kelsey changes the topic by asking me if I could look at an amino acid structure and tell her if it was correct or not. I told her sure. Chelsea thought that was frightening. But then again, I am a biochem prof, so it was probably ok. (I proved I was a nerd long ago.)

Then the conversation turned to which classes to take and which parts of labs were fun, i.e. biochem II lab is way more fun that biochem I lab. (With Chelsea asking, "Why Me?")

About that time Anne walks in and looks at Jonathan's note cards that he was using to study and says, "My note cards can totally eat your note cards. Look they are bigger AND have different colors." Jonathan then used to note cards to mimic Anne's cards eating his. I had to agree that Chelsea is subjected to much nerdiness.

Well once they got Luke down to study, I made my exit... why would I want to be in on a biochem study session. I want to make them suffer not help them!

Although I did come back to take pictures and came across this shocking situation: Mixed genders and their feet weren't all on the floor! THE HORROR!

Oh and I think Chelsea secretly enjoys the discussions about amino acids, DNA, and proteins and whether a PCR lab is more fun that an assay lab. :)

4 comments:

Karen said...

Hey! Dude, are my comments offending you or what? What if I sign my comments "X-Phile"? THEN will you publish them?!!!!!!!
Love you anyway!
Karen

Hilary said...

You are a cruel biochem teacher!! Shame on you!

X-Phile said...

You can't sign your comments X-Phile, silly Karen. I would have to beat you up.
And Autumn, you should tell Anne that I said that my notecards could totally eat her puny notecards any day. Oh, wait. I don't study. Hahahahaha.
And just so you know, I agree with Hilary. You shouldn't subject your poor biochem kids to quizzes. Learn from this semester and don't do it next year (when I'm in your class). If you don't like that format, you can always go back to giving quizzes when I graduate. :D

Autumn said...

Karen... I do post your comments!

Sarah... trust me you wouldn't want to wait until the exam to be tested over the material. It's really a kindness.