Thursday, October 18, 2007

I'm on vacation! Nanner Nanner Nanner!

Actually, I've technically been on vacation for almost exactly 12 hours, ever since I finished intro chem this morning. But I ended up having to do some work (isn't that terrible) like editing a students presentation and writing recommendation letters.

Let's see what's been happening since I last wrote...

First, Jonathan F., the student in the hospital is greatly improved. I've seen him the last two days. He's still weak but doing much better. They would let him out of the hospital on Saturday, but his doctor is going to be out of town, and the doctor wants to be here when they let him out. Ironically, the doctor is going to be on Brazil for vacation which is where Jonathan was supposed to go.

Church tonight was really funny. I kept thinking I was following the discussion... but then something would be said that made me think I wasn't. I am pretty sure they began and ended the class with the same argument. I wish I had understood better, because I was really wanting to say something. Aldebar did end class by making fun of Kelsey and I again (or teasing... I'd call it making fun of, because we had no idea what he said, but could tell it was directed toward us.) They are always teasing us though... I take it as that they just really like Kelsey and I. Yes... I'm sure that's it. Tonight it was probably because Kelsey and I had gotten to giggling. But Aldebar and said something, I was sure I heard wrong and asked her what she heard him say. She heard the same thing, but we are sure we were both wrong... But it sure sounded funny. To us, it sounded like he said in Spanish, "Jesus is a woman." So just when we think are Spanish skills are developing... they are crushed again.

After church, I was talking to Oscar. We got to talking about our families. When I told him that my younger brother was married, he asked if I was married and then why not. He started going on about how my heart was empty... I assured him it was just cold. Then I told him that I didn't have room in my heart, because it was full of my students. He said (I think... again this is a Spanglish conversation so who knows what I missed) that I had a space for God, a space for my students, and a space for that one man. Then started going on about me looking for that special someone and that I needed to start right away... including on my trip next week. Then he began miming me walking down the street flirting. It was pretty funny. Of course, I started playing along and batting my eyes for them and such. It was really funny, but you probably had to be there.

I think the folks at church are starting to catch on to my age and the fact that I'm still single. So I keep being asked about it. The funniest comments made to me have been: when I was asked why I couldn't find someone to love me.... Oscar's miming me trying to pick up a guy on the 18 de Julio (the main street in town... not the date.) And being told how this one guy was really good marriage material. I was given lots of reasons why he was. My favorite though: Because he is clean!

Well, I guess that sums up the latest... I may later regret writing that last paragraph, but I'm tired, so I don't care at the moment. As I mentioned earlier I'm on vacation! We take off for a 10 day trip tomorrow. We are going to Mendoza, Argentina; the Andes; Valparaiso, Chile; and Santiago de Chile. We are supposed to be back on the 28th. We will be spending lots of time on buses, like 20 hours tomorrow, 8 hours Sunday night, and a 28 or so on the way home. But I'm sure it will be a good time. Yeah... I'm sure it will be. :) The rest of the trip will be totally worth it though.

I probably won't post until I get back, unless we stay someplace with free internet access... but really why would I post, when I could be out experiencing new things??? But then I'm sure I'll have lots of new stories that don't involve how much fun I have at church and aerobics. In fact... I'm going to miss a whole week or aerobics! Don't worry... Kelsey and I are going before we leave tomorrow! ;)

1 comment:

Cole said...

I'd prefer you say "banana, banana, banana" from now on. ;-)