Friday, July 15, 2011

A rolling stone gathers no moss... a sloth on the other hand...

Today (Thursday) we went to the Baurilo Carrillo Rain Forest.  It is about an hour drive from the city. 
We crossed El Rio Sucio (the dirty river).  Its called that because of its yellow color due to sulfur from Vocan Irazu
 
We were warned that we might need jackets again.  Unlike the trip to the volcano, we did NOT need our jackets.  It wasn’t actually that hot, but it was super humid and sticky.  Ana Maria had warned us that we would mainly see plants on this trip, not to expect a lot of birds.  So what was hanging out over the parking lot??? A sloth… my new favorite animal.  This one was a three toed sloth.  They are cute too.
So cute.  Notice how her arms are greenish.  (I actually have better photos for the color.)  Well, moss actually grows on the backs of sloths.  It helps camouflage them from predators.  They certainly aren't running away.
 
We then headed into the rain forest.  We were warned not to get off the trail or we could be lost forever.  I’d believe it.  It was pretty dense.  Because it is a virgin rainforest, I expected not a lot of undergrowth.  That’s not how this one was.  It was pretty dense.  There was lots and lots and lots of green.  The predominant sound was cicadas.  The trail we were on was the closest to the road, so we didn’t see any more wild life except a frog, a lizard and LOTS of bugs and spiders.  EW…  I was slow on the trail because I was taking too many pictures… but there was NO concern that I’d get off the trail.

A few of my favorites:



David, Jenee, Eric, and Simone
 
After we were all thoroughly gross and sweaty, but happy after our hike, we piled back in the bus.  I was very grateful for air conditioning.  It is about the only place I’ve had AC in Costa Rica.

In class this afternoon, we did an activity where we were reviewing the use of direct and indirect pronouns.  The teacher set up a Jenga tower and if you messed up the sentence you had to play.  After a bit though, we decided if you got it right you got to play.  Once we were through with the sentences, we kept playing while Hazel was getting ready for the next thing.  The problem was it had become a heated game and no one wanted to quit.  Hazel changed it so that we had to come up with words for whatever letter in the alphabet the person before us chose.  Then a sentence that started with a letter the person chose.  We were too good at Jenga.  The game lasted 45 min until someone, I think John or Eric tried to pull one of the bottom pieces.  I, of course, eventually pulled out the camera for pictures.
Rob's turn.  Hazel, our professor is in the background.

Things got precarious for David.
After class David, Simone, and I went to get something to drink.  Simone’s Costa Rican sisters joined us.  One of the sisters was an exchange student with Simone’s family a few years ago.  I then headed home.  Isabel’s sister and brother-in-law came over and Mauricio, the son that lives in the house, was home too.  I was too tired to even make much of an effort to participate in the conversation… but I at least understood some of it.

Friday mornings, we don’t have excursions.  While I really enjoy excursions, I’m excited to sleep in a bit tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What-no dinosaurs?? Marti