Thursday, July 14, 2011

I Made a Chiste!

Wednesday we went to the Irazu Volcano.  The last time it erupted was they day President Kennedy arrived in 1963.  It was a huge eruption, one little town was completely wiped out.  It threw huge stones at people (besides the lava and ash).  Apparently it was super active for about 3 years, everyone had to move away from it.  They have now returned, because the soil is so rich.  Anna Maria told us it erupts on average every 40 years.  Those of you who can do math and were paying attention can understand why we were a little bit nervous going to the top of this volcano.

I believe she said that the top of Irazu is the highest point in Costa Rica.  It was above 10,000 feet.  On a clear day you can apparently see both the Caribbean and the Pacific.  It wasn’t a clear day, but it was clear enough that we could see the lagoon at the bottom of the biggest crater.

We had been told to bring a jacket, and I did, but deep down I didn’t really believe we’d need it. It has been in the upper 70’s and lower 80’s and I’ve seen Ticas in sweaters, so I thought it was an exaggeration.  I was wrong. (I know several of you are surprised to see me type that sentence… that I’d admit it not that I was wrong.) Anyway… It was very cool on the top of the volcano both figuratively and literally. 
See I was there and wearing a jacket.
 
We walked along the fence and got to look into the craters.  The deepest one has a lagoon at the bottom.  I don’t know how much more to say, but it was a cool trip.
The lagoon and a bunch of "Poorman's Umbrellas"

Mis amigos.  In back left to right: Jenee, Simone, David, Stacy, John.  In front Eric.
 At the beginning of class in the afternoon we had fruit class with all the classes together.  We learned the Spanish/ Costa Rican names and descriptions of lots of native fruit and then got to try them all.  Let’s say some were better than others.  Here’s a hint if they say “This is used for making juice.”  They may not eat it straight most of the time and it probably isn’t very good. 
Learning about fruit.  Notice how full all the plates are.

Can you tell which were less popular.  No one liked the little yellow berries.
When regular class resumed it went fine, although I got so lost right at the end, I got to use the phrase “No entiendo ni papa.”  I just spaced out and had no idea what’s going on.  It was a case where I understood all the words but somehow couldn’t put them in context.  Anyway… it was pretty funny.  After class some of us went to get something to drink and then headed home.

At dinner I was having a good Spanish night with my family.  I even managed to make a little quip/ joke.  It wasn’t that funny and has a long lead up, so I won’t translate it here… but Isabel and Jorge laughed and Isabel said it was a good chiste.  I’m nicer in Spanish because I’m quieter and not as sarcastic… but I’m also not as funny.  (Some would say I’m not funny in English either…) BUT I was pretty proud of pulling off a quip that 1. Made sense and 2. Spanish speakers thought was funny.

No comments: