Thursday, July 7, 2011

No entiendo ni papa

Basically I don't even understand a potato.  I don't quite feel like that... but its my new favorite phrase.  :)  Actually I understand ok... I think... its speaking that's a problem.  But I'll get better.  Things are going really well.  It is amazing how long the first week in a new place seems, but I am having a good time. 

My days are really full.  Tuesday – Thursday, I get up at 6 or 6:30, then walk to school to get there between 8 or 8:30.  (I could ride the bus, but so far I’ve been walking.)  We go on excursions in the morning.   Then we get back around noon and go to get something to eat.  So far this week we’ve gone to the food court in the nearby mall.  The first two days I ate Tico (Costa Rican) food.  I really like it, but I must confess that today I had Quiznos. I just felt like a sandwich.  J 

We have class from 1:15-5 with a 15 minute break.  I really enjoy the class.  Our teacher Hazel is great.  She has a good sense of humor, which is good since Simone, David and I joke around a lot.  I’m one of the weaker students in the class, but I’ll get there.

After class several of us go to a nearby restaurant and get something to drink.  This way I’m guaranteed my daily fix of Diet Coke.  We then head home, we’ve taken the bus most days.  Isabel, my house mom, has dinner ready at 7.  We eat and talk (in Spanish).  After that, I do my homework and then try to head to bead between 10 and 10:30.  OK, so the funny thing about that description of my day, is that we have been doing descriptions of “typical days” in class.  Its good verb practice. 

So what I’ve been seeing.  Yesterday we went to Central San Jose where the government buildings are.  We went to Parque Nacional (National Park).  It was really pretty and had a monument to the Costa Ricans and other Central Americans driving out William Wallace, an American who tried to come to Central America and take everything over.  
Each person represents a Central American Country.

They also had displayed art pieces made using recycled things.
A mobile of computer parts.
We then went to the National Museum.  It is in what used to be the headquarters of the army.  Let’s see if I can get this close to right… in 1948 the army tried to take over, the people fought back and redid their government.  They no longer have an army, so the building needed to be used for something so they turned it into a museum.  Most of the displays were about the pre-Colombian natives. 

Museo Nacional


A tower on the museum with bullet holes from the battle in 1948.

The natives wore Jade.  The one in the back was one of the few that women could where.  What do you think it was for?  (Its about a foot long.)  Answer at the end.


All over Costa Rica they found the perfectly round carved stones.  No one is sure why they were created.  You can see our group around one to get an idea about how big it is.
OK... So that's up to Tuesday.  I'll try to get totally caught up tomorrow.  Hahahahahah... I'm funny

4 comments:

Rosalinda said...

Hey, it sounds like you are having a wonderful time! Thanks so much for sharing! Besos!
~Rosalinda

Heather Sutherlin said...

So... What was the jade for?

Autumn said...

Oh yeah... It's a bra.

Shannon said...

Hmmm.... Clearly my ancestors were not from Costa Rica