Monday, December 3, 2007

Finishing Up

Our time is winding down here... its so hard to believe. (If you are wondering, I will probably mention the fact that I can't believe it is almost time to go home in every blog for the rest of my time here... prepare yourself.) This means though that we are trying to finish up lots of things. Classes are finishing up. Students are stressing over papers and exams. (I'm certainly glad that I'm not a student anymore.) It makes it even tougher that the weather is gorgeous and we have all the tourist things we want to finish up. Most of us also are doing lots of shopping trying to figure out what gifts we still need to get.

OK... most of my finishing up for the weekend was shopping, for the students it was studying. Evil teachers. Wahahahahaha!

Saturday, as usual, Kelsey, Anne and I went to aerobics. It was funny because they were taping the class. I didn't really catch the reason, but it meant Dario went through a real introduction to class and we had to do push-ups at the end. Anne and I got a little giggly because we were slipping because we were so sweaty. (Alright so I bit it on one push up when my knees slipped out from under me... yes I do girl push ups.) Dario gave us the "What are you doing... I'm having this taped" look.

In the afternoon, I headed to Punta Carretas, the fancy mall. I got out of the house partly because I was trying not to pester the students too much since they were trying to do school work. (Nanner Nanner Nanner) It was the first time I had been to the mall since our first week. I could almost believe that it is Christmas time being in the this mall, because there were decorations everywhere. (I still can't get used to December and consistent 80 degree weather.) One weird thing... I think I saw two different Santas in the mall. That will certainly mess with little kids.

When I got home, I started trying to sort out souvenirs and gifts. I think I'm only going to have one suitcase for souvenirs and the other for my clothes that I'm bringing back. :)

Saturday night, several of us went to dinner with Emiliano. He used to work at the restaurant that used to be next to CasaACU, so he got to know some of the students in the past. He came to the English classes and got to know Anne, his tutor well. It was fun... he's one of the people that I've gotten to be comfortable enough to speak Spanish too.

Sunday, I was excited because 9 of our 11 students came to church in the morning. That's the first time that many have been there in awhile. I think that means that they have really built relationships with the members at church, because with only 2 Sundays left, they wanted to be there. After church, I ate a quick lunch with Caitlin in my apartment then I went down the the ferria (market) in Parque Rodo. After I spent all my money, I came back to the house and tried not to pester the poor students. In the evening after church, I went to dinner with Luke and Anne. It was nice to hang out with them.

I spent the rest of the evening goofing off and trying to come up with what to say in chapel today. Being that it was my last chapel I wanted to be meaningful and significant, yada, yada, yada. (Too bad I'm not a deep and meaningful kind of girl.)

No comments: